October is upon us and that means two things: Cold weather fans can finally breathe a sigh of relief and, of course, people are gearing up for Halloween. Spooky, gross, and ghastly vibes are about to take over both the virtual and offline worlds and we're totally here for it.
In the spirit of the spooky month, we can't help but think of real-life horrors, courtesy of our oh-so-lovely human species. We'll spare you the somber mood and set aside the serious atrocities happening around the world (do war crimes and climate change ring a bell?). Instead, we'll keep it light and stick to pesky horrors Arabs encounter on a daily basis:
1. Horror movies have got nothing on Arab drivers
From the streets ridden with potholes to the drivers fueled by road rage, driving in Arab cities is not for the faint-hearted. Arab drivers pretty much get the same spine-chilling effect as watching a horror movie.
2. Nothing gets your heart racing like crossing an Arab street
Not to mention walking the streets as a woman during nighttime; that's a whole other level of creepy.
3. Small talk with Arab relatives ... the horror!
Horror is defined as "fear, shock, or disgust." Yep, that perfectly describes small talk with some nosy, big-mouthed, and judgmental relatives.
4. "Momken net3arraf" messages redefine creepy
If you're a woman active on social media, you have probably come across Arab guys' creepy and intrusive message requests. Such guys flood women's inboxes with messages - more like monologues - that range from the harmlessly hilarious to the profoundly disturbing, so it's pretty much Spooktober all year long in women's "other inbox."
5. The post-graduation life is all sorts of scary
6. These hand gestures are worth a thousand verbal threats
Are you really an Arab kid if the fear of God doesn't run down your spine when your parent makes one of these gestures? Brace yourself for the impending rage coming your way.
7. Horror movie idea: Traveling to the West as an Arab
8. Not scary enough? Try growing up with strict Arab parents
You aren't fazed by Halloween pranks if you were raised by strict Arab parents, as your tolerance for shock and stress is probably high beyond compare.
9. Seeing someone you know in a place you shouldn't be in = Mini heart attack
Brace yourself for a whole lot of drama.
10. Some Arab salons have no concept of what a "simple" look means, and the result is the stuff of horror films
Is it a Halloween costume or just a beautician's take on party makeup? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯