Derailed train leaves at least 7 dead, 80 injured in Morocco

"Some people lost their arms and legs in the accident."

A shuttle train ran off its rails in Morocco on Tuesday morning, killing at least seven people and injuring nearly 80 others.

The train derailed about halfway between the Moroccan capital Rabat and the town of Kenitra, and at least one wagon toppled over in the crash.

According to Reuters, state-owned railway operator ONCF said investigations into the incident are currently underway.

The incident took place in Sidi Bouknadel, located 10 kilometers north of Rabat, leaving at least seven people dead, including the train's engineer. The causes of the deadly crash are yet to be revealed.

"We heard a gigantic explosion. The earth shook and the sound was unbearable. I rushed to see what happened. It was horrific. Disfigured bodies all over the place, blood and body pieces," Mourad El Kbiri, who owns a cafe near the site of the crash, recalled in a talk with The Associated Press.

Emergency workers and rescue teams rushed to the scene to help the injured, rescue trapped survivors, and transport those in need of medical care to hospitals in nearby cities.

According to a medical source who spoke with Reuters, "Some people lost their arms and legs in the accident."

In an official statement, Morocco's King Mohammed VI expressed his condolences to those affected and ordered an investigation into the crash. According to the royal court, the king will pay the deceased victims' funeral and burial fees.

He also reportedly plans to visit wounded victims at the Mohamed V Military Hospital in Rabat. 

The accident comes during the final stage of ONCF's plan to launch a high-speed train between Casablanca and Tangier by the end of 2018. The national railway operator had received a $92 million loan from the French Development Agency (AFD) to fund the last phase of the project, Morocco World News reported.

Footage capturing massive school fire in Saudi Arabia sparks anger

In recent years, several school fires were reported in the kingdom.

Viral footage capturing a fire in an all-boys school located in the Saudi city of Medina sparked outrage on Twitter earlier this week. 

In his statement on the matter, Omar Bernawi, the official spokesman for Medina's Education Authority, said:

"The fire first broke out in the school's Art Museum which is located in a backyard. The place wasn't overcrowded and therefore no students were harmed by the fumes. Pupils were quickly evacuated from the building and their parents were immediately notified of the incident."

According to Al Riyadh newspaper, 456 students were safely evacuated by school officials during the incident, which is said to have been caused by an electrical fault.

Fire fighters then arrived at the scene and put the blaze out.  

A video capturing the terrifying incident circulated on Twitter

The school fire left people shocked

"Oh my God." 

Valid questions were raised

"I've been noticing an increase in school fires, what's going on?"

"Unfortunately, there aren't any safety measures implemented in schools."

Many were relieved there were no casualties

"The most important thing is that there aren't any reported injuries." 

And thanked school officials for handling the situation

"Honestly, teachers, students, and security men must be thanked over the fact that no injuries or deaths were reported during evacuation." 

Others still had concerns though

"Some government school buildings lack safety equipment." 

In recent years, several school fires were reported in the kingdom

In 2016, fires broke out at six different Jeddah schools within a single day, "raising questions and concerns about safety standards." 

In 2011, 600 female students were evacuated from a school in Jeddah after a major fire raged through its campus.

One of the most tragic school fires ever reported in the kingdom dates back to 2002, when a deadly blaze broke-out in an all-female school in Mecca. 

The incident left 14 students dead and sparked outrage across the kingdom. At the time, the country's Presidency for Girls’ Education said that the victims died in a stampede as they tried to escape the fire. 

However, other reports on the matter stated that deaths occurred because there was a delay in the school's evacuation process.

In a report published in 2002, witnesses told Arab News that "the main gate of the intermediate school could not be opened immediately because the key was with the male guard, who was away."