A tragic fire that engulfed a house in Saudi Arabia's Al Ihsaa governorate earlier this week left a Saudi newlywed dead and his bride seriously injured, Akhbaar 24 reported

The couple was only married for a few weeks and were still enjoying their honeymoon when tragedy struck. While there was nothing rescuers could do to save the young man, his wife was transferred to hospital for treatment.

Firefighter teams dispatched to the site said the fire started in the couple's living room, which is located on the second floor of the house they live in.

Not the first newlywed couple to face a similar tragedy

Earlier this year, a similar tragic incident was reported in the kingdom and saw an Afghan expat die in a fire on the night of his wedding. At the time, it was reported that the man's wife survived the accident and was hospitalized.

In recent years, fire incidents have been on the rise across the kingdom

According to the latest statistics, fire accidents have been on the rise in Saudi Arabia. In 2016, 51,781 fires were recorded across the kingdom, a one percent increase from 51,188 incidents reported in 2015.

In a report released by the country's Civil Defense, it was stated that around 65 percent of fire accidents occur in residential buildings or houses. 

The report also found that the majority of fire accidents in the country were caused by children who were left unattended. Other main causes were found to be faulty gas stoves and heaters.