Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Bahrain and the UAE said they will maintain their blockade on Qatar after criticizing what they called a “negative” response to a list of demands they had sent to the country last week, Arab News reported.
The news came a few days after Qatar handed its official response to the list of 13 demands to the emir of Kuwait, who has been mediating between Qatar and the four Arab states.
After receiving the response, foreign ministers of all four blockading countries met in Cairo.
During a press statement that followed their meeting, Saudi's Foreign Minister Adel Al-Jubeir said: “The political and economic boycott will remain until Qatar changes its policies for the better."
Egypt’s Foreign Minister Sameh Shoukry also told reporters that Qatar’s response to the list of demands reflects the fact that it “does not realize the gravity of the situation."
No further decisions or steps were announced by any of the foreign ministers.
According to Arab News, they are expected to meet next in Bahrain.
Qatar: List of demands "made to be rejected"
The list of 13 demands, now rejected by Qatar, includes the closure of Al Jazeera, curbing relationships with Iran and severing all ties with "terrorist organizations."
Before officially responding to the list of demands, the country's Foreign Minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al-Thani, hinted at the fact that all demands would be declined.
In a statement he made last week, he said that the list "is made to be rejected."
The blockade on Qatar began on June 5, with the Arab countries accusing neighboring Qatar of supporting terrorist organizations.