In case the Dumbo and Aladdin remakes haven't already made fans feel nostalgic enough, Disney is now working on yet another live-action film based on a classic fairy tale, The Little Mermaid.
Having first announced plans to revisit the film back in 2016, Disney updated fans on the live-action's progress last week. Disney revealed that American singer and actress Halle Bailey has been selected to play the role of Ariel, stirring quite the controversy online. While some people objected to having a black actress play Ariel, others celebrated the decision and hailed it as a step forward in the right direction.
"After an extensive search, it was abundantly clear that Halle possesses that rare combination of spirit, heart, youth, innocence, and substance - plus a glorious singing voice - all intrinsic qualities necessary to play this iconic role," American director Rob Marshall said in a statement.
Since the announcement, social media users have been sharing their thoughts on celebrities they'd like to see in the live-action adaptation. Arabs joined in on the frenzy, pitching regional stars to partake in the film.
Hey Disney, are you hoping to diversify your cast even further? Here are some Arab celebrities who could easily pass as The Little Mermaid characters:
1. Sorry Halle, Lebanese singer Najwa Karam is all set to take the lead role
An Ariel with a voice as powerful as Karam's? We're totally here for it.
2. Otherwise, she'll settle for Flounder's character
3. We nominate Dubai-based blogger Ahmed El Sayed for Eric's role
He's not an actor (yet), but that resemblance cannot go in vain.
4. Lebanese actor Mario Bassil's face and sense of humor scream Sebastian
5. Syrian actress Muna Wassif would make the perfect Ursula
6. Or would Egypt's Ragaa Al Geddawy do a better job?
Now, that's a tough call.