An explosion rocked a mosque in Egypt's Sinai region on Friday, leaving more than 230 dead and scores injured, according to media reports.
Egyptian state television has reported 235 dead, according to the Guardian, with at least 130 wounded. The blast occurred shortly after Friday prayers in the village of Bir al-Abed, near el-Arish.
In addition to the blast, men in four off-road vehicles opened fire on the worshippers, police said.
According to local media, supporters of Egyptian security forces were the primary target of the attack, as they were reportedly praying at the mosque.
Other reports have said that further east, the Arish-Rafah road has been closed, according to Al Jazeera.
An Egyptian television channel reported that President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi will meet with security officials later today to discuss the attack.
For several years, Egypt has been fighting extremists associated with the so-called Islamic State (or Daesh). Numerous attacks have killed many throughout the country.
Churches and Egypt's Coptic Christians have previously been a primary target of the terrorists.
This most recent attack comes just following the reopening of the Raffah border crossing with Gaza in Palestine. Following the attack, security forces closed the border, citing concerns for safety, according to Al Arabiya.
On social media, many are already sharing their horror and sadness
When will Egypt be rid of these attacks?
People were killed after praying ...
Editor's note: This is a developing story and will be updated as more details come to light.