Ramadan values, principles and morals never change, but our habits, lifestyles and behaviors certainly do.
Here’s what a typical Ramadan day in the life of a millennial looks like:
1. Is it time to work or time to eat?
The confusion brought by your morning alarm: is it the “yalla get up and go to work” alert or the “yalla get up and eat suhoor” jingle?
2. The tooth paste operation
Fasting people have a unique talent when it comes to brushing their teeth without swallowing any water or toothpaste! It’s an operation that requires extra attention and strong control of the muscle tongue!
3. The moment you pass by Starbucks but keep driving like a boss
And then you start wondering: maybe I CAN live forever without a Triple, Venti, Half Sweet, Non-Fat, Caramel Macchiato in my life… (who am I kidding, I CAN’T - but it'll have to wait till after Ramadan!)
4. “NO, NOT EVEN WATER KAREN!”
The moment you have to answer your non-Muslim colleagues’ questions about what is allowed and what isn't during Ramadan… for the 100th time!
5. How we feel about the Trump administration not hosting an iftar in the White House this year?
To quote the great Justin Beiber: “My Mama don’t like you and she likes everyone.”
6. “No Karen, I will not be offended if you eat your salad on the desk”
And neither should any fasting Muslim be… #justsaying
7. When you receive a work email that starts with "تحية رمضانية" or “Ramadan salut”
What does that even mean? And how is it any different from any other salutation?
8. The happy dance you do because you get to go home at 3pm
Why can’t Ramadan last the whole year?
9. But then your happiness evaporates because EVERYONE else leaves at the same time
10. Is it still fasting if I sleep until sunset?
Technically yes, but we both know that this is not how fasting works.
11. The feeling after you're done eating 5KG of food and sweets at iftar
Then wish you could one day break your fast with a handful of dates and a glass of yogurt.
12. The moment you feel torn between watching Ramadan shows and attending Taraweeh prayer
Don’t pretend the struggle isn't real!
13. The moment you feel guilty for laughing at a Ramiz Galal show
Yes, it’s bad… but some of these pranked celebrities have hilarious crying faces!
14. The face you make when your friend says “let’s go to a suhoor tent”
And you’re like: “I just had iftar and there is no way I’m going to pay minimum charge just to drink tea and sahlab!”
15. The moment you realize you were 10 years old when Bab El Hara first aired
And now you are 21, and the show is still going strong, and حارة الضبع is STILL fighting the French, and the actors’ teeth are still getting whiter and whiter every season! Make it stop, please!
16. The moment you see some celebrities posting photos of themselves with hijab on Instagram
... while taking on provocative roles in their Ramadan drama…
But hey, it’s just acting, right?
17. The moment you wake up at fajr and realize you missed suhoor
And then wonder if you should skip fasting for the day because you don’t think the mansaf, meat, kunafa and katayef you had for iftar will sustain you for the rest of the day!