Mother’s Day is fast approaching so it got me thinking about the kind of food my mom cooks at home. The first thing that pops into mind is her famous beef stroganoff. She knows how much I love it and surprises me with it when I’m having the worst days. I can smell it when I enter the family house and it just makes me the happiest girl!
Today, I was lucky to have lunch at home. Since everyone, including my mom, was busy, I decided to make myself a healthy version of beef stroganoff. I had some serious doubts at first, since I decided to use yogurt instead of cream, but it turned out to be delicious and guilt-free.
What you’ll need (for 2 people)
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 500 g lean beef, sliced
- 8 medium fresh white mushrooms, sliced
- 500 g fat free plain yogurt
- 1 tsp corn flour
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 cup red or white wine
- Chili powder, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to make it
- Melt the corn flour in warm water and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat the canola oil (on low heat).
- Add the diced onions, beef and sliced mushrooms. Toss until the meat is cooked while seasoning with salt and pepper, then set aside in a bowl or plate.
- In the same pot, add the yogurt and melted corn flour and stir until it thickens.
- Add the beef mixture, season with salt and pepper, and stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the mustard and tomato paste and mix until combined.
- Season with more pepper and chili powder, add the wine, and stir until you obtain the preferred thickness.
- Bring to the boil then let it simmer for two minutes and turn off the heat.
And you’re done! You can choose to have it with brown rice or a fresh green salad (that’s if you want to cut carbs on that specific day).