Many people said Shelton, a country singer and The Voice judge, does not deserve the title - not only looks-wise but also considering his personality.
Media outlets have also pointed out that People magazine lacks diversity, with only two men of color ever making it to its cover.
In response, social media users have been suggesting men they consider worthier of the title.
The list of men is rather long, so we have decided to narrow it down to men from the Arab world.
Move over Blake Shelton, the "Sexiest Man Alive" is actually Arab:
1. Syrian actor Taim Hasan takes the cake ... Obviously
2. Bask in the charm of Tunisian actor Dhaffer L'Abidine
3. The Egyptian gem that is Ahmed Magdy
Magdy stole our hearts after starring in two of the most popular 2016 Ramadan TV dramas Le A3la Se3r (At the Highest Price) and La Totefe2 el Shams (Don’t Let the Sun Set).
4. We are all rooting for the bad guy in Aladdin ... because Marwan Kenzari
The Dutch-Tunisian actor is slated to play Jafar in Disney's upcoming live-action adaptation of Aladdin.
Need we say more?
5. Lebanese basketball icon Fadi El Khatib
6. Fan-favorite Syrian singer Nassif Zeytoun is the ultimate cute + sexy combo
7. Jordan's Yusuf Dwairi is the epitome of eye candy
He's a model, a fashion guru, and yes, a doctor in the making.