A French-Syrian singer, who's also the first-ever hijabi to take part in the French version of popular TV talent show 'The Voice', quit the program after she came under fire for posts she'd previously shared on social media.
In the now-deleted social media statements, Mennel, a 22-year-old songstress, took a stand against Israel and questioned the involvement of Islamist extremists in the Nice terrorist attacks.
Amid intense backlash and people accusing the singer of being a member of 'the Muslim far-right' and a 'conspiratorialist', she responded saying that her posts "were taken out of context".
On Friday, just a week after her performance on the show's audition episode went viral, she announced her decision to quit the contest.
The singer announced she's quitting the show on Facebook
In videos she posted on her official Facebook page, in both English and French, Mennel said:
"I participated in the French TV show 'The Voice' with the intention of gathering people, not dividing them."
"A lot of tension has hidden my desire to spread peace, love and tolerance. I have never meant to hurt anyone, and the idea that I would do it on purpose pains me a lot. That's why today, I decided to quit the program," she added.
Ending her statement, the young singer said her decision would not mark the end of her musical career or her ambition.
The news is now making the rounds online
News of Mennel's decision to quit the program didn't do much to end the ongoing controversy over her appearance on the show.
Since she made her announcement, thousands came to her defense online, stating that she was attacked for being Muslim and for supporting the Palestinian cause.
Here's a little of what people had to say online: