Saudi Arabia's Commission for tourism and National Heritage (SCTH) will be allocating $2.67 billion (SR9.9 bn) to develop and rebuild tourism projects in the country, Arabian Business reported on Monday. 

In a statement published on its website, the government entity revealed six new initiatives that have been approved under the country's National Transformation Program 2020, which come in line with the kingdom's Vision 2030. 

SCTH explained that it will receive 40 percent of the recently allocated government funds, while the remaining 60 percent will be distributed among its government partners. 

The six new tourism initiatives include the development of touristic destinations for families in areas like Al Ula, Fursan Islands, and Al Raas Al Abyad Shore. They also include the rehabilitation of 80 of the country's archaeological sites. 

According to the statement, the new advancement plans will also see the kingdom registering three of its natural heritage sites on the UNESCO's World Heritage List.  

The kingdom's vision 2030

According to Arabian Business, the Saudi Vision 2030 development plan aims at increasing revenues generated from tourism to 18 percent in the next 14 years. 

Under it, Saudi is expected to host up to 1.5 million tourists by 2020. 

Released last year, the ambitious blueprint seeks to fight unemployment and develop non-oil industries, including tourism as well as small and medium enterprises, creating a broader investment base.