Lebanese group crowdfunding to establish a suicide helpline

Lebanon loses someone every three days to suicide. A group is trying to change that by launching the country's first suicide hotline.

Lebanon loses someone every three days to suicide.

Currently, a suicide prevention helpline does not exist in the country but an organization called Embrace  is working to change that. The organization has turned to crowdfunding to raise $20,000 to support its initiative.

Over the past year, the organization has already completed the first phase of its action plan for creating the helpline. The initial steps included "carrying out research to identify the prevalence of suicide in Lebanon, people's attitudes and knowledge about mental illness in Lebanon and commissioning research to determine the acceptability of the helpline by the Lebanese," according to  the crowdfunding page on Zoomaal.

With the money raised through the campaign, Embrace plans to cover the hiring costs necessary to implement phase two of its action plan.

"This phase is crucial for the success and sustainability of the helpline because it will include the detailed planning and development of the helpline. This will ensure that when we reach phase 3, we will be ready to set up the call center of the helpline with the least obstacles possible."

15331_1441952413_1752323172_4phases

Embrace is affiliated with the Department of Psychiatry at the American University of Beirut Medical Center. According to its Zoomaal page, one in four Lebanese suffer from mental illness and the organization "grew out of the need to fight the stigma of mental illness and to help make access to treatment easier."

If you'd like to contribute to the campaign, click here .

Sharing photos of accident victims to be a crime in Qatar

People who take pictures of accident victims could be subject to prosecution after Qatar's Cabinet approved an amendment to a 2014 cybercrime law.

Qatar's Cabinet approved a recent amendment to Law No. 11 of 2014 that would punish people who took or shared pictures of accident victims online without their representatives' consent, Qatar News Agency reported Wednesday. The approval comes on the heels of the recent cybercrime law the Gulf country also passed last year.

State media has been unclear about what penalties would be enforced on convicted individuals and it is not known when the proposed legislation will come into effect as the emir has yet to sign it.

“It is harmful to the families and friends of those who die or are injured in accidents to have pictures of their loved ones displayed in public without their consent,” Najeeb Al Nuaimi, former justice minister, told Doha News . “It’s their right to protect the social life and image of their loved ones.”

Nuaimi said that this amendment went hand-in-hand with the country's recent efforts to combat invasion of privacy in the era of smartphones and social media.

But unlike more cut-throat applications of cybercrime and privacy laws in other neighboring countries, Qatar has aimed to cooperate with its residents in apprehending road violations.

Previously, an Australian woman was deported from the UAE after posting a picture on Facebook of a parked car blocking two handicapped spaces.

Instead, Qatar has asked residents to use designated phone apps linked to the Interior Ministry to document road infractions.