When it comes to PR campaigns and social media propaganda, Israel passes with flying colors. The occupying state goes above and beyond to shift public focus away from its ongoing crimes against the Palestinians. To that end, Israel heavily relies on the tactic of allegedly championing progressive causes, such as women's rights, LGBTIQ+ rights, and veganism. While there's no denying the importance of such topics, Israel's attempts are problematic - or rather, cringeworthy - on so many levels.
Not only are Israel's social media posts blatantly tone-deaf, but they also portray the occupying state as a progressive safe haven while undermining Palestinians and Arabs in general and depicting the latter as bigoted and backwards. Ghaith Hilal perfectly explains the nuance on the Electronic Intifada, writing: "You cannot have queer liberation while apartheid, patriarchy, capitalism and other oppressions exist."
Thankfully, many social media users are quick to point out the hypocrisy in Israel's posts and ridicule its attempts to sugarcoat its crimes. These eight tweets sum up Israel's failed attempts at glossing its image online:
1. A textbook example of "greenwashing," courtesy of Israel's genocidal armed forces
2. "The woke Israeli Death Forces"
3. Apparently, they draw the line at animal consumption but humans are fair game
4. "IDF, your propaganda machine is running a little low on fuel"
5. Israeli Twitter: Female soldiers donating hair for cancer patients
6. Reality: Israel denying treatment to Palestinian cancer patients
7. Yep, it's safe to say that tweet backfired big time
8. And so did this tweet
Apply cold water to that BURN!