British authorities charged a Kuwaiti man with the murder of a London-based Omani student during an attempt to steal an expensive watch the victim was wearing, The National reported.
On Friday, Badir Rahim Alnazi appeared in court and was officially charged with the murder of 20-year-old Mohammed Al Araimi who was fatally stabbed in West London's Knightsbridge on Dec. 5.
The 23-year-old was also charged with attempted robbery and being in possession of a sharp blade. While in court, Alnazi "spoke only to give his name, date of birth, address and nationality." He didn't enter a plea at the hearing nor did he apply for bail. The defendant will remain in police custody and is set to appear at the Old Bailey court in central London on Tuesday.
The Kuwaiti man's indictment comes just days after UK detectives released CCTV clips of two men they were hunting down in relation to the murder.
One of the videos captured the suspects walking along Seville Street, which is around a five-minute walk from where Al Araimi died. In other clips, they were seen walking in the Edgware Road area which is known for its Middle Eastern businesses and restaurants.
Police offered a reward of £20,000 ($26,074) for any information that could result in the prosecution of those responsible for the crime. The victim was walking back home with a friend just after midnight when they were attacked by two muggers.
Speaking to The Daily Mail, one of Al Araimi's friends said the young man put up a fight after the thieves tried to snatch an expensive watch he was wearing.
"One of the thieves tried to steal Mohammad's expensive watch - I think a Rolex - but he fought back. There was a struggle and he was stabbed," he explained.
Al Araimi's family seeks justice for a life cut short
The son of a prominent Omani businessman, Al Araimi had been living in the UK for three years at the time of his murder.
The young man was a politics and economics major at Kings College London. His family flew to the city to repatriate his body after he was pronounced dead.
Last month, the bereaved family released a statement saying the murder left them eternally heartbroken. At the time, the victim's brother, Raid Al Araimi, urged anyone with information about the attack to speak to local police.
"As a family, we are all grieving at the loss of Mohammed. He only went out for a meal with a friend and never came home," the mourning brother said.