Dating in the Arab world can only be summed up as a love/hate relationship. Is it acceptable, is it halal, will you get away with a simple, casual relationship?
Nothing is too certain, but best of luck anyway...
Here are eight things you will go through when dating in the region:
1. Try saying "dating" in the Arab world
Dad: You mean marriage?
You: No, dating...
Dad: Oh, so khotbeh?
You: No ya Baba... *facepalm*
2. The odds of actually finding a match
Make sure to keep them hidden for a while before you introduce them to the family... or else a zaffeh will take place in under five minutes.
3. Telling your parents you're going out with Sarah and Fatima, but instead you're out with Moe
Can't a girl nickname her girlfriends with unusual boy names?
4. If you run into friends or family friends, your immediate reaction is: "meet my cousin"
Oh, you know all my cousins? Impossible, I have 200.
5. Hearing "shefto ma3 khatibto" in family gatherings while pointing at you
We started dating a week ago... *queue the alf mabrouks*
6. Everyone gets excited because they think there's a big wedding coming
When in fact, it is quite nonexistent.
7. And when you do actually meet the parents...
Don't forget to be as smooth as your ride to Jannah...
8. Let's not even talk about online dating...
Are they haram, are they halal... who knows?