Arabs in general, and Egyptians in my case, tend to be nosy. From asking more questions than they should to downright being intrusive, they can sometimes prove too much to handle – especially for us women.
1. Samra bas helwa!
Was that a compliment, or an insult? I'm confused!
2. Del ragel wala del 7eta = A man's shadow is better than that of a wall
Namet 3aleeky heta ya b3eeda!
3. Ma3andenash banat teshtaghal = We don't allow girls in our family to work
For real? Watch me!
4. “Ana mesh ba3akes” before proceeding to catcalling you
A stranger stopping you on the side of the road asking for directions is one thing, but using it as an excuse to get your number? Thanks, but no thanks.
Begad, are you for real?
5. 3eeb te3aly sotek 3ala ragel = It’s rude to raise your voice at men
La mesh 3eeb!
If he does something wrong he should be called out!
6. Your clothes provoked him
La seriously, we need to stop making excuses for harassers.
7. You're too thin/fat/tall/short/dark... No one will marry you
You're entertaining, I like you, tell me more -.-
8. Men don't like independent women
9. Don't be late at work, what will people say?
That I'm a workaholic and couldn’t care less what the spy-neighbors say? People are welcome to pay my bills though.
10. I had a child when I was your age, you know?
Beautiful! How can I help you?
11. When are you getting married?
The Smiths sang “How soon is now?” and I’m telling you it’s pretty far.
12. The infamous “You don't have much time left to have children!”
And to that I reply, “You still have time to get a life and mind your own business.”
13. Women can't drive
Well sure, if following the rules means we can’t drive, then you go ahead and smash your car, sir.
14. I think straight hair just looks nicer than all of these curly locks
Whatever tickles your fancy. We don't care though.
15. You're Egyptian? I've always wanted my girl to be Egyptian!
Settle down, child.
Egyptian women are not items for you to try!